Tuesday 7 October 2008

Proud parents and grandparents

Last Sunday was even more special than the prevoius Sunday I wrote about below. It was the occasion of the thanksgiving and dedication service of our two granddaughters. Those regular readers of the blog will know that earlier this year we had the joy of both of our daughters giving birth to baby girls. So on Sunday I led a special service when both families came to church to give thanks for their safe arrivals. I'm pleased to say that all six grandparents were there, along with many other family, friends and members of the church.

I'd like to share with you two things I mentioned in my talk. Firstly, I said that I think we are in danger of losing that sense of wonder - of nature in general and of the miracle of birth in particular. We live in a scientific age and the fact that life is happening all around us means we can so easily forget how incredibly complicated even a single cell of our body is! Not only is it immensely complex, it also has the ability to reproduce itself! And within each one is the complete blueprint for who we are in the DNA.

3,000 years ago a Psalmist said this to God:
You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:13-14)

This wasn't a scientific statement – but an awe & worship statement. And that’s what we’re in danger of losing.

The second thing is a reminiscence of when I was about 13 years old. The house next door to us had been bought by a charity and was used as a hostel for single mums and their babies. We used to chat to some of the mums and I remember one mum saying that when she told her parents she was pregnant (and not married), they completely disowned her and would have nothing more to do with her. This was, of course, getting on for 50 years ago now. But I remember vowing to myself, if I ever had children I'd never give up on them.

Well, all those years on and I'm pleased to say our two daughters have never done anything that might be considered a "give up on them" offence! And I just wanted to encourage them to never give up on their kids.

For all our children are gifts from God to us, entrusted to us for a time. Then they leave home. But it's always a joy when they return to visit! And it doesn't take too long to clear up afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment