Sunday 25 July 2010

Well packaged

I received a small parcel recently. I ripped off the cellophane to reveal a cardboard box. In it was a plastic tray, which had another cardboard box in it. So I removed the box from the tray and opened it, to reveal some bubble wrap. After I got rid of that, there was more cellophane wrap, and inside that - my card reader for my new Tesco savings account!

In order to log on, I have to type in my customer number, then digits of my PIN, then characters from my password. For certain transactions I have to put my recently received card into my recently unwrapped card reader and type in yet another PIN!

They say all this security is for my benefit. What they mean is that managing an account online is a highly hazardous thing to do and they are making it as difficult as possible for fraudsters to gain access to my money - and by so doing, it's pretty hard for ME to access my money.

I'm not sure which took longer - accessing my account through all the layers of security, or accessing my card reader through all the layers of packaging.

The letter that accompanied one PIN told me to memorise it immediately and destroy the letter. Like I'm supposed to do with all the other PINs and passwords I have - from other savings, credit card, debit card, even my library card!

And of course, if someone DID manage to hack in to my account, it must be my fault for not keeping my PIN secure!

I have to admit that I almost cancelled the account because of all the security. But then I remembered the interest rate! But I also must remember that, in a year's time I'll have to go through it all again, when the bonus interest rate ends.

Oh dear!




No comments:

Post a Comment