Wednesday 24 November 2010

Penetrating the Church

I've just read this comment about the church:


We fence Jesus off from everyone, hiding him behind religious jargon, impenetrable church services, music which has no connection to popular culture. Then we have the nerve to complain that no one seems interested in religion any more. Perhaps they would be interested in Jesus, if only he wasn't hidden from sight behind the strange trappings of religion.


Although it was written about 15 years ago, it has a familiar ring! However we try to make church "accessible" (to use modern jargon), it's so easy to slip into it being an "in" club, where only those in the know really understand things.


If you go to church, next Sunday, try and view everything from the point of view, "If I'd never been here before and know little about Christianity, would I understand what was going on and would I know what I was supposed to do?"


See how you get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment