Wednesday 4 March 2009

Random observations

Whilst in Brentwood today I noticed the sign in a shop window, that you can see to the left. The question that came to mind was, "Why the quotation marks?"

It's an increasing tendency to use quotation marks when they are not needed. So in my pedantic way, can I plead for people to not use quotation marks if they are not quoting from someone or something. It's quite simple really!

Then I bought a packet of sugar and I love the label! This is taking "serving suggestion" to the extreme - a sugar bowl and sugar spoon, each with sugar in it. I suppose they would say that people might assume the bowl and spoon were included if they didn't put those words in. All I ask is, "Has the nation's IQ dropped that much in recent years?"

On the other hand, my grandmother said that a picture is worth a thousand words. But what about those pictures that supposedly give you instructions? At the moment I'm often loading the washing machine. It's taken me months to work out what those silly symbols on clothes mean. I think I now know whether or not to tumble dry and whether you can dry clean a garment, but I'm not sure!

And take the long life bulb we recently purchased. The side is pictured below. Now I understand the two ticked boxes, but what on earth does the one with the cross mean? Is it, "Don't use when you are wearing black and white headphones"?

It's been suggested it means you can't use the bulb on a timer. Well, that's possible, but if that's the case, I've got a novel idea! Why not just write on the packet, "Do not use with a timer."

Or maybe even a picture of a timer connected to the bulb and the words, "Not a serving suggestion." Without the quotation marks, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment