Tuesday 7 April 2009

Easter eggs

Today my wife and I have been looking round for an Easter egg to buy. One we can share together on Easter Day (see blog below). I had two requisites – it must be a fair-trade egg and have the extra chocolate inside the egg. And that’s the problem! When I was a lad (!) you used to be able to buy chocolate eggs and when you opened them, other chocolates fell out. Now the extra chocolate bar (or whatever) is elsewhere in the vastly over-packaged box.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find anything that came up to my exacting standards. But I have to give a mention to the Cadbury’s egg with chocolate buttons inside and the Nestle egg with Samarties inside. But we went for a fair-trade egg in the end. Divine chocolate egg with mini-eggs.

And here’s an interesting thing. In The Guardian today they have the results of an Easter egg taste test they ran. Out of about 50 eggs, they list the top six. Four of them are priced £62, £29.50, £22, and £9.99 respectively. But the two cheapest (both £4.99) are both fair-trade eggs!

So you can enjoy good tasting chocolate, with an ethically sound purchase that doesn’t involve taking out a loan! Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment