Sunday 26 August 2012

Pedants anonymous

I know I'm being picky, but the sign in the car park at Orford Ness say "Have you Paid and Displayed", as in the photo. Now  why is there a capital letter on 'Paid' and on 'Displayed'?  And, where exactly is the question mark?  Come on, official sign writers, pull your socks up!

And another thing... why do so many people have to add 'today' at the end of a question?  At Sainsbury's cafe I was asked, "Have you got your Nectar card today?"  The word 'today' is superfluous.  She also asked, having ordered a cup of tea, "Would you like anything to eat today?"  To which I wanted to say, "Yes, but at home tonight!"  But I didn't, as she probably wouldn't have understood, and, to be fair,  she's probably just following the script.

No comments:

Post a Comment