Friday 21 November 2008

Life - Past, Present & Future

Today I came across a poem that I wrote when I passed the milestone of 50 years old. Of course that was 10+ years ago now. Anyway, I thought you might enjoy it. Perhaps doggerel is a better description than poem!

Life - Past, Present & Future

Shout hip hip hooray, I'm 50 today!
The prime of my life has now come my way.
No ageism here, 'cos 50's OK!
But casting my mind back to my youth if I may -
With no tele to watch, then games we would play;
A packet of sugar - one and threepence you'd pay
And decimal coinage was miles away!
And if one was happy, one said one was gay.

But back to the present, for here we must stay;
The legs start to ache, the hair's really grey
And even my suit is starting to fray!

But if from the subject I'm tending to stray
Let's look to the future; to stand, come what may;
Keep contact with Jesus, your fears he'll allay.
Whatever comes to you, just follow his way.
Now to misquote the advert, I'll finally say,
The Spirit each day, helps you work, rest and pray.

(Eric Baldwin, July 1997)

No comments:

Post a Comment