Saturday 25 July 2009

A Moral Dilemma

I have a moral dilemma. When you go into a restaurant and order a tea or coffee and those little packets of sugar come, even though you don't take sugar, is it OK to pop them in your pocket and empty them into the sugar jar at home? Actually it's not a jar it's a plastic container with a snap-on lid - of course.

You see, I reckon you've paid for the sugar so you can do what you like with it. So why is it I wait until the waitress is nowhere to be seen and then surreptitiously place them in my pocket or pass them to my wife for her to slip into her handbag?

However I've worked out some reasoning. If the sugar packets come in the saucer, then I reckon I must have paid for them and I can pocket them if I like. But if they are in a dish on the table, it's questionable that I've paid for them, so I don't pocket any.

At the beginning of our holiday, however, things were sorted by my wife. It wasn't a moral answer to my dilemma. But when I was about to hand her a packet to slip into her handbag, she said, "We're not collecting more of those things!"

Problem solved.

1 comment:

  1. The Answer to the above is this, You pay for the Tea / Coffee but the sugar is complementry, So by leaving the sugar in the shop for the next customer to use means that the shop will not have to purchase sugar earlier than is needed at a higher cost, which indirectly is passed back onto you the customer next time you enter the shop by them increasing the price of your tea /coffee.So next time leave the Sugar alone, or pay the price of higher drink charges.

    ReplyDelete