Monday 26 October 2009

Running repairs

On my cycle journey to work I cross over a railway bridge. One day I noticed a man beside the track with a chequered flag. I asked a friend who knows about these things (as he's something big in railway stations!) and he told me the man waves a chequered flag when a train is coming to notify another man to signal to those working on the line that a train is imminent. This extra man is only needed when there is a curve in the line and the lookout cannot see far enough down the track.

However I have my own suspicions. I think they were racing two trains, one down each track, and the man with the chequered flag was at the finish line. Probably one was driven by Lewis Hamilton and the other by Jensen Button.

Which reminds me, isn't it fantastic the current and previous F1 world champions have both been British? Actually, both are English, which is even better!

I have to admit that I sometimes feel guilty at watching F1 as the sums of money that are spent could probably feed the world and also the carbon footprint - or bootprint - must be incredibly huge! But it's a nice way to relax on a Sunday afternoon (or whenever we watch the recording) and a good opportunity for a nap half way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment