Friday 30 October 2009

Poopy Day or Poppy Month?


There's been debate in the media about when one should start to wear one's poppy. What has happened? When I was a kid you bought your poppy and on Remembrance Sunday you wore it.

And for me, the same will apply this year. At the time of writing I haven't yet bought a poppy, but I will do, and I will wear it in my lapel on Sunday 8 November - Remembrance Sunday.

This is not because I'm ashamed of wearing it or I don't support the cause. Of course I support it! But I don't see the point in wearing it other than on the day.

Again, when I was young there were a number of "Flag Days". One that comes to mind was the "Alexandra Rose Day" where you put some money in the collector's tin, received a paper pink rose with a pin and you wore it there and then, for that day. There was also one for the Lifeboats, I remember.

So I'm not going round for the next week with the message, "Look I'm good I've bought a poppy" on my lapel, but I WILL have supported the cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment