Thursday 18 March 2010

We are currently running an Alpha course at church, using the DVDs. Last week Nicky Gumbel was talking about belief and saying that to be a Christian is more than just believing God exists. The Bible says even the demons believe that much!

We need not only believe God exists, we must also put our trust in him. I read the following recently:
To believe something is a decision of the intellect.
To believe in someone is a decision of the heart.

To become a Christian is to believe in Jesus - and that's a decision of the heart.

Some people think that you either believe or you don't. But I see belief as a "continuum" going from out and out unbelief to unswerving belief. Most of us are somewhere along that continuum, not at one end or the other.




As a Christian, sometimes my faith is stronger than at other times.

When a man asked Jesus if he could help his son who was very ill, Jesus picked him up on asking 'if', saying, "everything is possible for him who believes." The man responded, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

Many people do believe, but are somewhere along the continuum. As we progress from left to right, our faith increases. If we regress from right to left, our doubt increases.






We won't necessarily achieve "complete belief", the important thing is we are moving in the right direction!

2 comments:

  1. I remember you using this continuum when we came to your church once. Subsequently I noticed Dawkins uses a similar device in The God Delusion. I blogged about it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honoured that you remeber me using that continuum! Interesting to read Dawkins' one - it's probably the only thing he and I would agree on!

    ReplyDelete