Saturday 4 June 2011

Back in business!

My sincere apologies to my loyal blog followers. But now I'm back! It's 4th June and I'm blogging again.

But what about superinjunctions? Maybe I'll unwittingly let a cat out of a bag! And then what?

Superinjunctions seem to me to be a bit like working for the secret service. They used to say (and maybe they still do) that not only could you not tell anyone what you did, but also you couldn't tell them you couldn't tell them. So you had to say something vague about being a civil servant when asked by anyone what you did.

Superinjunctions work the same way. Not only can you not report a story, but also you can't say you can't report on it. And there, as far as I can see, is a big problem. Say I'm down the pub and someone mentions something about somebody famous (say, a footballer, to take a random example). If that's the subject of a superinjunction, how do I know? How can I possible know NOT to say something when no-one is allowed to tell me I'm not allowed to say it?

Or maybe there's a list somewhere. But that would rather defeat the purpose! And THAT reminds me something I heard of many years ago. A publisher had brought out a new edition of the works of Shakespeare, but with all the naughty bits cut out. Thus it was suitable for schoolchildren. But they put all those bits in an appendix! So now, little schoolboys didn't have to read through page after page to find the best bits, they were all conveniently listed at the back!

But I've gone off the original subject.... Suffice it to say that if I stop blogging again, it just MAY be I've violated someone's very expensive superinjunction.

No comments:

Post a Comment