Tuesday 30 September 2008

Miscellany

It's been a while since I've blogged and a number of things have caught my eye, so thought it was time to update all of you out there.

My wife had an appointment to go to the "Ophthalmic Department" of Orsett Hospital. When she arrived and asked for the Ophthalmic Department, she was told to follow the signs for the eye clinic! Is this another case of dumbing down? Or maybe it's just a way of cutting the cost of those signs!

-----------------------------------

On the one hand I don't want to go on about misuse of apostrophes, but on the other hand ... Painted on the window of a nearby pub that does food are the words, "All your need's catered for!" Clever use of 'catered', pity about the apostrophe. I want to ask, "What about my needs to read correct grammar?

Then, again within a mile of home, I found this wonderful sign up on the window of a shop that was closing down. It's pictured here, but you will probably need to click on the picture to see a larger image in order to read the all important small writing on the green poster.


It's pretty rotten really. It means if you buy a left shoe, you have to buy the right one as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment