Sunday 7 September 2008

More English Misdemeanors!

You may remember my examples of poor punctuation found on signs within about a mile of where we live. See
http://ericgreymatters.blogspot.com/2008/03/im-fan-of-lynne-truss-who-wrote-eats.html

Well, I've been out again for some more English misdemeanors. Here are two, still within a mile of where we live. Click on the picture to obtain a larger image. First of all, we need to remember we aren't living in America! We spell it "Centre" over this side of the pond.


And then the troublesome apostrophe. I don't particularly like contracting 'and' to the single letter 'n', but if we must, it needs to have an apostrophe before to signify the 'a' is missing and after to signify the 'd' is missing. In other words, it should read Fish 'n' chips. Having said that, the fish and chips the shop sells are brilliant! So I don't hold the slip-up against them!

Even as I walked down the road before I took the pictures, what should be coming towards me but a car towing one of those mobile food outlets you often find at open air fairs, etc. We saw it earlier this summer and I took this picture.


If you haven't worked it out, it's 'confectionery'. Never mind, I'm sure the sweets are very nice!
That's the end of round two of my one-man attempt to improve the nation's English. Well, it's worth a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment