Monday 4 January 2010

Hurrah for John Humphrys!

I say a "Hurrah!" to John Humphrys! On Celebrity Mastermind tonight, when telling us the website address he said it was "BBC dot co dot UK stroke Mastermind". None of this awful "slash" Americanism that has all but dominated such addresses.

I was told that some time ago that 'slash' is better as it distinguishes between one that goes in a NE / SW direction from a 'backslash' that goes in a NW / SE direction. As far as I can see this is a nonsense because our strokes go NE /SW anyway!

I also recall Stuart White from BBC's Look East saying 'stroke' instead of 'slash'. Well done to Stuart also!

Us middle-aged (or so!) men must keep up this good work!

By the way, I assume that the general knowledge questions John Humphrys was asking have been "dumbed down" for the celebrities, as I could answer in excess of five in each round, as opposed to the one, if I'm lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment