Saturday 20 February 2010

More Kneecap News

The sun was shining yesterday afternoon, so I decided to get back on my bicycle. It was a short trip to Lidl's about a quarter of a mile away. It all went very smoothly and no problems. So I'm officially riding again, although not on these cold mornings, just in case there's more black ice, like the stuff that caused the previous problem.

But let me tell you why we went to Lidl's. They advertised they were selling those office pencil sharpeners - the ones you clamp to the desk, then insert the pencil and turn the handle. And it was under £3! As they always worked a treat when I used them years ago at work, I thought I must get one.

I have to say it's brilliant! In no time I had sharpened all the pencils I could find - 19 in all (where DID they come from?). I've now taken it to the church office and done another lot.

The one difference between this and the old ones - this one comes complete with full instructions. If you've used one of these sharpeners, you'll know that when the pencil is fully sharpened, the handle just turns and it doesn't shave off any more pencil. So the instructions say, "Evenly turn the handle clockwise until a no-load rotation is clearly noticable" What??? (and by the way, that IS how they spelt "noticable")

But of course far more important is the "Safety information". I quote:

"This appliance is not intended for use by individuals (including children) with restricted physical, physiological or intellectual abilities or deficiencies in experience and/or knowledge unless they are supervised by a person responsible for their safety ..."

I never knew pencil sharpening was such a hazardous occupation.

No comments:

Post a Comment