Monday 24 September 2012

Songs aint wot they used to be!

Last week was my wife's birthday and I gave her a card which included "20 hit songs from the year of her birth".  To my surprise I knew nine of the 18 artists (two had two tracks each) and 6 of the songs.  Names like Dizzy Gillespie, Tommy Dorsey, Frank Sinatra and Doris Day.  Although I have to admit I'd not heard of The Metronome All Stars or even Molly O'Day!

Then I thought I'd see how many of the current Top 20 songs and artists I knew.  Three people I'd heard of, but none of the songs.  OK, so I've drifted away from popular culture over the years!

But then I noticed, further down the list, at 27, Gerry and the Pacemakers with You'll Never Walk Alone!  In the current charts for obvious reasons given the Hillsborough report recently published.

So I'm not completely divorced from popular culture!  In fact I can remember having the sheet music of the song, which I could actually play on the piano - then.  Maybe I could, still.  Now where might that sheet music be after all these years?...

No comments:

Post a Comment