Wednesday 26 September 2012

Swearing and the meaning of words

In one of the ongoing news items about Andrew Mitchell and his behaviour towards the police when they wouldn't let him through that main gate, it was reported he admitted he did swear, but not at the police, rather he swore in frustration.  So that's alright, then.

Now when a pupil swears in class, he's not swearing at the teacher, but in frustration that he can't do his work, and, clearly, that must be OK also.

While we're on education, Mr. Gove seems to be changing the meaning of words.  He says that it's not good enough for teachers to be 'satisfactory', they must improve.

So, here's the lesson, "Satisfactory" means "Unsatisfactory".  All clear now?  If you're frustrated about this, it's OK to swear, as we've seen!

2 comments:

  1. Eric, Unlike you I have only partially retired but I'm getting there. My contribution to the 'new world order' is still under development but you have given me the impetus to start the blog. It's still under construction but I hope to get if finished soon.
    Neil http://finbow.me.uk

    ReplyDelete