Monday 21 December 2009

Crackers!


Well, our two services went well yesterday, although because of the inclement weather there were fewer in the morning. But for the carols by candlelight in the evening, it was a fairly packed house!

I said I'd tell you what I did with the children, in case any of you do Christmas services, and it might appeal (if you're reading this, Heather, be warned I've already done it at Rushmere, although I doubt they'd remember!).

It was a cracker for Jesus, a giant cracker that we'd made. I said it was for Jesus but I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we pulled it for him! I then asked what's normally in a cracker, and got back a gift, a hat, a joke and a snap. I asked what's was the more traditional name for the joke and got the word I wanted, a motto. I said the cracker for Jesus had all these things except the snap, as it was too big. So when it was pulled, everyone had to shout "bang!"

Two children came up to help and pulled the cracker ("bang!" went the congregation). The we looked at the contents. First of all the paper hat. What kind of hat was it? A crown. Who wears a crown? A king. So this is a cracker for Jesus, as he's a King. I asked someone to read Matthew 2:1-2, where the wise men refer to Jesus as the King of the Jews.

So, we've established Jesus is King. What of the motto? It was Matthew 2:23, The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means ‘God is with us.’ So Jesus is not only a King, but God himself!

So if this is a cracker for Jesus, what could we possibly give a King, who is also God? One of my helpers opened the present, it was a box and inside the box a paper heart, which he unfolded. Actually, Jesus doesn't demand expensive presents from us, all he wants is for us to love him - to give him out hearts.

We then sung in the bleak midwinter, and I quoted the last verse:

What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a wise man, I would do my part.
Yet what I can I give him, give my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment