Tuesday 15 December 2009

Where have all the Geobars gone?


I must admit I do like an apricot Geobar. In case you've not heard of them, Geobars are cereal bars made by Traidcraft, so they have the Fairtrade mark. They currently do apricot, chocolate, honey nut and mixed berry bars. The chocolate ones are common, but the Tesco and Sainsbury that we frequent seem to have stopped stocking any other flavours. Even the Oxfam shop in Brentwood only had chocolate ones the last time I went in, and the one at Billericay didn't seem to do any foodstuffs at all.

So what am I supposed to do? Well, I emailed Traidcraft to see if they have any of their "Fairtraders" in the area. Fairtraders are people who sell fairly traded in goods locally, maybe in a church setting. We had this ongoing email correspondence. She asked for my postcode and then responded that there were no Fairtraders locally. But I then thought about it. Our postcode is "SS" for Southend, although we're not that close to Southend. In fact not far away are "CM" postcodes which is Chelmsford.

So, when I informed her of this, she sent me a list of Fairtraders! One not far away at all, in Wickford. But alas! When I received that email I had just ordered some online direct from Traidcraft. The minimum number they do is a packet of 24 (as in the picture). I've ordered one apricot, one mixed berries and one honey nut. So we now have 72 Geobars!

If the Fairtrader lady in Wickford is reading this, when we've got through our 72 bars, we will be in touch - honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment